Thursday, March 8, 2012

You gotta have friends!

Made to Crave – Day 8

There's a song that Bette Midler sings and some of the lyrics are:

But you got to have friends,
The feeling's oh so strong
You got to have friends,
To make that day last long

You got to have friends. I don’t know what life would be like if I didn’t have friends. What I have learned is that as you journey through life your friendships change as you grow older. My very first friend was my older sister and some would also say that the little stuffed bunny I carried around with me was just as good of a friend as my sister. When my baby brother was born he became a friend too. There were also my two imaginary friends, Cindy and Judy. Cindy was good and Judy was naughty.

When I started elementary school I added friends to my life. There was Karoline, Penny, Jean, Lisa, Libby, Amy, Debbie, Kristi and Melissa. Junior High brought more friends into my life such as, Sheri, Renee, Laurie, Stacey & Mary and in high school Katie, Sandy, Liz, Casey, Dawn, Cathy & Stacy joined the circle. There were other friends but these girls were the core friends in my life. We told each other secrets, cried on each other’s shoulders and had some of the best times of our lives with one another. I still keep in touch with quite a few of them and I am so happy for that. These are friendships along with memories that I will cherish the rest of my life.

In my adult life I have various groups of friends. There are my friends from college, my friends who I have worked with, my friends who I attend church with, my friends in my neighborhood, friends in ministry and my “faithful four” friends; Angie, Sandy and Jean. These three friends have laughed with me, cried with me, supported me, cheered for me and have been honest with me, even if I didn’t really want to hear it but needed to and I am grateful for that.

I can also add my mom to my list of friends. Who would have thought that when I was 14 years old I would one day call my mom one of my best friends? I’m sure she wouldn’t have believed it back then either. And now as my children are all adults I can say that they are all growing into becoming friends too. My closest and bestest friend is hands down my husband. If any one person has seen me at my best and at my worst and still loved me, it has been Dave and I love him with every part of my life.

This journey we are on with all its ups, downs, twists and turns couldn’t be bearable if it wasn’t for friends who help, support and encourage us. As you continue on this journey, reach out to one of your friends and ask him or her to help you. Whether it’s a husband, mom, neighbor, co-worker, sister or girlfriend, you will find that one of them will be your biggest supporter on this journey and they will help you reach your goal of a healthy lifestyle.

“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you” (John 15:12-15)

Blessings,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment