Thursday, March 15, 2012

Nothing tastes as good as peace feels!

Made to Crave – Day 15

“Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food.” (Romans 14:19-20a)

Last night at my Made to Crave class, we were given our assignments for the week which are:

• To focus our thoughts on God, not food.
• To open our eyes and look for ways to love others.
• On a piece of paper, write, “Nothing tastes as good as peace feels” and then place it on your refrigerator, your pantry or wherever you will see it.
• And on another piece of paper write the word “peace” and place it over the numbers on your scale. Then every time you step on the scale, let the note remind you that your real weight loss goal is peace.

The first three I had no problem with, but that last one shook me up. I’m the person who as soon as I get out of bed in the morning I step on the scale. It’s how I start my day. Lately I’m not a very happy person when I see the numbers but I keep getting on thinking that just maybe the numbers will have changed.

When I saw this assignment I honestly thought there is no way I can do that. In fact I couldn’t even bring myself to put the piece of paper on the scale last evening when I got home from class. This morning though when I went into the bathroom I looked at the scale but I didn’t get on it. Something was pulling me away and I just couldn’t do it. So when I got home for lunch today I got a sticky note, got a pink marker, wrote the word “peace” on it and placed the sticky note on the scale covering the numbers. I then stood on the scale and looked down and all I saw was the word “peace” and I smiled. I read the word out loud and felt good. I didn’t feel the anxiety or the shame when I stood on the scale. I actually felt peace.

When we are so consumed by the numbers on the scale or the food that we eat, we will not have our eyes open to what God has for us even if it is right in front of our face. Seeing the word “peace” didn’t give me anxiety or leave me feeling defeated or stressed. When I read the word “peace” I felt calm and a feeling of empowerment filled my soul. I walked out of the bathroom with a determination I hadn’t felt before and I said out loud, “Nothing tastes as good as peace feels.”

Blessings,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment