Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Are we to big of a risk?

A few houses away from ours, is a very large stone mansion. It’s very old and is beautiful, inside and outside. Unfortunately the house has sat empty for over the last year and has had no family to live in it or care for it. Just recently it sold and I’m anxious to know who the new home owners are. While on a walk with my husband last night I told him that I had seen a sold sign in the yard and I was so happy it would no longer sit empty. Empty houses make me feel sad. I like to have a house have lights on and have activity happening because then the house is finally a home and is happy. I know, call me silly but that’s how I’m made. My husband made a comment that has stayed with me. He said, “I don’t think I would want to buy a house that has sat empty for over a year. You never know what’s going to happen when you start to turn on everything and use it. It’s a problem waiting to happen.” But I said, “Oh but it’s so pretty and it just needs a little TLC and it will be fine.” He shook his head and said, “It’s just too much of a risk.”


As you can see we don’t see eye to eye on this particular subject. My husband’s profession is in insurance and he is always looking at the business/financial point of view and I always look at the sentimental point of view. But his comment really got to me, “…too much of a risk.”

Is that how we look at or treat people in our own lives? When someone walks away from God for a while and makes really bad choices, maybe lives their lives without thinking about anyone else but themselves and maybe has even treated us poorly, are they to much of a risk to take back in to our lives? Are we not to give them the TLC they need? Like a house that has sat empty, some people are empty to. Some are empty of love, support, self-esteem, self-confidence and care.

What if God looked at us that way? What if we sat empty of God for a while and strayed off the path and made really bad choices and lived our lives without seeking God’s care or guidance? Would we be too big of a risk for God to take us back into his fold?

“Then Jesus told them this parable: “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.” Luke 15:3-7

Blessings,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment