Friday, March 2, 2012

Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip

Day 2 - Made to Crave

I found this saying a few weeks ago, “Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip”. This is so true if you are trying to make the right choices but sometimes don’t. Does God really want us to feel guilty because we had that chocolate chip cookie instead of going to Him when we were bored, upset or lonely? Did Christ die on the cross so that we would all feel guilty because of our sins? Christ died on the cross so that we could have forgiveness of our sins. Guilt is a human emotion that can help us to decide to change how we have been doing things. If we make that wrong choice, guilt will help us to change and move on. Don’t let guilt weigh you down to where you just give up and say “What’s the point? I’ll just mess up again anyway.” Just because you had that cookie, piece of chocolate, didn’t exercise today or are carrying around a few extra pounds, don’t be ashamed. Lysa Terkeurst said, “Guilt wrapped in shame is a terrible burden to carry.” If you are carrying around guilt or shame, give it to God and let him carry it. Be assured that God loves you, that God’s grace is freely given to you and the reality of God’s power.


“Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)

Thought for the Day (from the Made to Crave devotional) - I wept as I realized this would be one of the most significant spiritual journeys of my life. A spiritual journey that would yield great physical benefits.

Blessings,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment