Thursday, February 3, 2011

Take My Hand

Psalm 73:23-24, "Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory"

While I was growing up there were many Saturdays that my Dad would get up and announce to the family that we would be going to Omaha Nebraska for a day of shopping at the mall. Omaha is about an hour away from where we live and back then if you wanted to go to a mall you either had to go to Omaha or Sioux Falls South Dakota. My family loved having these spontaneous family outings. On one particular day trip when I was about 7 years old, we traveled to Omaha and began a day of shopping. While we were in one of the department stores and my parents were looking at clothing in the men's department, I suddenly found myself lost. I had wandered away to look at something and when I turned around I couldn't locate anyone in my family. I suddenly panicked. As a shy child this is the most terrifying experience to have. I remember standing there and then walking one way and then another and not finding any of them. After a few moments a sales person came up to me and asked me if I was lost and I slowly shook my head yes while I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. He told me to take his hand and then he led me to the stores office, asked my name and then got on the intercom and asked my parents to come to the office to retrieve their daughter. Within a few short minutes I was safely back in my mom's arms and the ordeal was over. I was so happy and was able to enjoy the rest of the day without letting my parents out of my sight.

As an adult when I have found myself scared, lost or lonely I know that all I have to do is reach out to God, take his hand and he will lead me back to where I belong. God is always with us and when we find ourselves wandering he is there to lead us back. Like the sales person that day when I was lost, God extends his hand, leads us to safety and into the comfort and security of his outstretched arms.

I pray that you will take God's hand when you find yourself lost and that in the comfort of God's arms you will know you are safe.

Blessings,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment