Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Faith and Hope

It’s February 1st and it is snowing, windy and cold once again. For some this is just one more day where they have to brave the frigid temperatures and get out that snow shovel or snow blower once more to clean off the sidewalks and driveways. I am blessed to have a husband and a teenage son who do a wonderful job removing the snow from around our home while I stay toasty and warm inside. I still have to get out and drive to work, walk on the icy sidewalks and clean my car off at lunch and when I leave at the end of the day. And let me tell you, it is a windy bitter cold day today!!! Here is where I have to make a confession. I love winter. I’m sure some of you are rolling your eyes right now and thinking I am off my rocker, but the fact is I love every season that comes around. I love living in the Midwest where we get to experience the four different seasons. I feel blessed. For me winter is the expectation of what is right around the corner. It is the hope of spring and new life. When I am in the depths of winter I know that in a month or so I may see my first robin, the grass will be peaking through the left over snow, the daffodils and tulips will be blooming, the sun will feel warmer and the daylight will be longer. The anticipation and hope is what carries me through the darkness of the winter days, the snow covered streets and the below zero temps.


Our faith journey with God is like this. When we are consumed by the dark days of despair we have the faith in God that he will push the dark clouds away and the sun will shine. God will carry us through. When the pain of sorrow takes hold of us, we can trust that God will fill our hearts with love and joy once again. Like the hope of spring, there is a hope of a new tomorrow, a new life in Christ. We may not be able to see the changes but they are there. The birds are preparing to fly north, the sun is staying in the sky longer and the flower bulbs are getting ready to pop through the earth. So much of what God does for us is done behind the scenes of our lives. Directing, guiding, weaving and planting as we are unaware of his work. But even though we can’t see it, it is happening.

So if you are blessed to live in a part of the country that has 4 distinct seasons; winter, spring, summer and fall, embrace each season. Go outside and catch snowflakes on your tongue, breath in the cold air, walk in the snow, build a snowman, look at the bare trees and snow covered bushes and know that spring will begin on March 20th.

Hebrews 11:1, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see” (NIV)

Romans 8:24-25, “For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently” (NIV)

Blessings,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment