Monday, February 14, 2011

One Thousand Gifts

I started reading a book by Ann Voskamp titled, "One Thousand Gifts". It is a wonderful book that I highly recommend if you are searching for the joy in your life. Ann reflects on her farming, parenting, and writing life. This book is a beautifully practical guide to living a life of joy. It invites you to wake up to God's everyday blessings. One of the ways that Ann shows us how to rediscover the joy in your life is by making a list of everyday gifts from God. The dare that Ann gives the reader is to reach a list of 1000 gifts. It doesn't have to be fancy, perfect or pretty. She started her list on the back of a sheet of paper that one of her children had drawn a picture on. She soon found herself using a small spiral notebook that she could take anywhere. Most days her spiral notebook sits open on the kitchen counter where she jots down the gifts she encounters while being a farmers wife, a mother and an observer of life. When we receive God's blessings with gratitude we experience joy in our life. I thought that this was a wonderful challenge. So today I started my list. Here are the first 5 gifts on my list I am grateful for.

#1 my dog wagging her tail
#2 a red lit candle in the middle of the table
#3 the melting of the snow
#4 cat whiskers
#5 hot coffee

Today I am passing on this dare. Can you find 1000 blessings or gifts from God in your everyday life? There is no deadline or urgency to finish your list, you can take as long as you need to reach 1000. Let me know if you accept the dare and we can travel on this journey together.

Blessings,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment