Monday, February 7, 2011

Becoming Still

A couple of weeks ago I attended the Compel Women’s Conference and the scripture verse for the conference was Psalm 46:10, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Lysa TerKeurst of Proverbs 31 Ministries, was the speaker and she was truly inspirational. There were so many things I took away from the conference that Lysa spoke on. I’ve read a couple of books that Lysa has written that I highly suggest you read, “Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl” and “What Happens When Women Say Yes to God”. And her newest book “Made to Crave” which is on the New York Times Bestseller list.


But what has stayed in my thoughts that I have found myself repeating over and over is “be still”. Those two little words keep playing over and over in my mind. So I’ve asked myself, why? Why “be still”? I believe the reason I keep repeating them is because I want to be still but I can‘t. I would love to lock myself away somewhere for a few days, away from my job, family responsibilities and church activities. Away from the daily grind of life and into the serenity and solitude of just being quiet. Alone. Free from having to make decisions, answering questions, refereeing disagreements, finding lost items, figuring out schedules, laundry and all of the other items on my life’s to do list. There are times when I am alone, although not as often as I would like, but even during those times when I sit in the quietness of my home my mind will not be still. I sit there and pray, “please be still, just for a few moments, let me hear God.” But my mind won’t. It robs me of the stillness with it’s cries of “you need to begin your sermon”, “you need to work on the retreat”, “you need to read over the Bible study”, “you need to look over Andrew’s homework”, you need to call your sister”, “you need to…..”

This morning as I was beginning my day, sitting in bed with my Bible, devotional book and journal those two words started coming to mind once again. But this time I didn’t protest. I allowed them to creep in and stay. I sat there as the light of morning started to peak through my window blinds and I gave in to the game that it wanted to play. As I let it take over something happened. I kept repeating the words over and over and found that I was becoming still. As I was meditating and concentrating on those two words I became oblivious to everything else around me. Closing my eyes I started to feel the presence of God fill my soul. I was still. The stillness that I so desperately wanted was now enveloping me. My breathing was slow, my mind at rest and the faint whisper of God saying, “you are mine, you are loved, you are still”.

“Be still and know that I am God…”

Blessings,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment