Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom!!!

Today is my mom’s birthday! I’m not going to tell you how old she is, because that just wouldn’t be lady like. But I can tell you that my mom has beautiful youthful skin and has never looked as old as the amount of candles on her birthday cake. My mom and I have always had a special relationship and that is what I want to share with you today.


When I was young and very shy my mom was my protector. When I suffered from tonsillitis during elementary school she comforted me. When my fevers got to high she would soothe me. And when I would have nightmares she would be there at my bedside calming me. My mom was one of my biggest supporters. During my teen years when I felt gawky, she made me feel beautiful. She cheered me on at my basketball and volleyball games, choir and band concerts, cheer leading and the school play. She would stay up late to watch scary movies with me even though I know she really didn’t care for them. When I had struggles with friends and boyfriends, she would give me advice and dry my tears.

But our relationship was also tested when I started to think I knew more than my mom (I have since learned that my mom knew a lot more than I ever did). My mom has said that when I was 14, she loved me but that she didn’t like me very well (I didn’t like me very much either).

But the most important moment in our relationship happened when I had to tell her that I was pregnant. I was 19, a sophomore in college and even though Dave and I were engaged I was still so scared to tell her. I felt that I had let her down. But I was wrong. My mom hugged me, told me she loved me and that everything would be fine. At that moment my mom became my best friend. She never made me feel ashamed and I know that there were times that she stood up for me when others would share their opinions. She helped me plan my wedding, set up our new home, a few times brought us groceries when our cupboards got a little empty and on the night that my beautiful daughter Ashley was born she was right there by my side helping me (and Dave) through the labor pains.

My mom has been my rock. She has been there for me when I have needed advice on cooking, housework, children, marriage and life. She has been a loving grandmother to my three children and a wonderful mother-in-law to my husband. She has supported me, prayed for me and loved me. I know that I can always count on my mom to be there for me and I hope she knows that she can always count on me to be there for her. My mom is a loving, compassionate, caring, beautiful, funny and wise woman. She is who I strive to be. She is my role model and my best friend.

"You should be known for the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God." ~ 1Peter 3:4


Happy Birthday Mom!!!
I Love You,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment