Thursday, October 29, 2009

Quiet Time

I've been so busy lately that I haven't had an opportunity to really sit down and blog for a while and I've missed it. Thankfully I have some vacation time left that I need to use up so I am taking a few days off this month and in November and in December. Today and tomorrow are two of my days off and I am enjoying every minute. I've been reading the book "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" by Joanna Weaver. I found out that she is going to be here in January for a Women's Conference and I wanted to read her books before she comes and also before it gets to crazy around here with holiday activities and work. I've had the book and another one of hers for some time now but haven't read them. I decided now would be a perfect time. I love the book and I can't wait to hear her speak!!!

So today I read a few chapters of Joanna's book and also spent some much needed time in reading God's word, prayer and meditation with God. It was just what I needed and tomorrow I am looking forward to some quality time again with God. I'm not to good about making quiet time with God everyday. I make excuses and when it comes right down to it I am a little lazy. There's always something I feel is more entertaining or some type of work that needs to be done. But what I have found out is that God can be the most entertaining being on the face of the earth. When I spend time in his word I am drawn in to the most dramatic, inspiring, unforgettable, awesome world. And this world is mine for the taking. Yes, it is history but it is also what is happening here, right now. It gives us the answers to have a better life. A deeper, richer and more glorious life than we could ever imagine in our wildest dreams.

Last night I preached at a small church for their Wednesday night service. I spoke on Psalm 23. I love that psalm and today I thought a lot about it after I heard that my sister-in-law's father had a stroke this morning in Florida. I spent much time in prayer, praying for him and the entire family. He is a vibrant, lovable Irishman and a retired New York police officer. His family means everything to him and I know they are going through much worry and uncertainty. Psalm 23 is such a comfort at a time like this. God as our Shepherd leading us and tending to us. Giving us a place to find rest and comfort. Restoring our souls. Leading us to refreshing living water. When we find ourselves in a time of uncertainty, pain, sorrow and anxiety, God gives us everything we need, if we only reach out and take hold of his hand. He will lead us out of our despair and worry. What a Shepherd he is. How majestic is our God.

Thanks be to God.

Blessings,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment