Thursday, April 5, 2012

Come to the Table

When you come to the table, do you approach slowly, sitting down and savoring the aroma of the meal and the time spent with others? Or do you rush in, sit down and quickly eat the food while barely tasting it?

"When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve.”

Do you speak softly and listen intently? Or do you interrupt, not allowing others to finish their sentences?

And while they were eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.” They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, “Surely you don’t mean me, Lord?”

Do you share about your day, your experiences at school, work or home? Are joys celebrated and lessons learned?

Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.” Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely you don’t mean me, Rabbi?” Jesus answered, “You have said so.”

Do you pass the food until everyone has been served and do you offer thanks to God for the blessings before you?

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

Tonight we come to the table observing the Lord’s Last Supper. On this night Jesus would break bread and pass the cup and announce that one of those closest to him would betray him.

How do you come to the table tonight? Is your head bowed down? Are you filled with worry, regret and shame? Jesus said, “Take and eat; this is my body and drink from this cup; this is my blood, which is poured out for you for the forgiveness of sins.”

Tonight, come to the table. Sit with Jesus. Listen to his words. Savor his presence. Eat and drink from his cup. And give thanks to God.

“When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.”

Blessings,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment