Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Happy Heart Day!!

Ten years ago today my Dad underwent successful open heart surgery. It was two days after the attacks of 9/11. The emotions that we were all having were like a roller coaster ride all day. When I got to the hospital a little after 6am, my Mom told me that they were not sure if they were going to be able to do the surgery. To say my Mom was a little overwhelmed is an understatement. Thankfully the surgeon came in and told the nurses that no matter what was the problem, he was doing the surgery. I am so thankful for my Dad's surgeon. After the surgery he informed us that one of my Dad's arteries was 90% blocked. The artery was what they call the "widow maker". He said that the only reason my Dad didn't have a massive heart attack was due to the fact that he took an aspirin everyday. After Dad was in recovery and we knew that the surgery had gone extremely well, we were able to go in to the ICU to see him. It was only for a couple of minutes but it helped all of us to just "see" that he was fine. I walked out of that room and fell apart. I'm not sure what came over me. Maybe it happened because I had never seen my Dad like that. He was always so strong, so in control. Maybe it was relief. Maybe it was the fact that my Dad was still here, alive and well, while other families were grieving the loss of loved ones all over our country. Whatever the reasons were that made the tears flow, there was a sense of calmness and comfort that enveloped me. I was reminded again that God was with us every moment before, during and after the surgery. And this was my moment to lay my head on God's shoulder, feel his arms around me and let it all out.

Ten years have gone by and I thank God everyday for the life of my Dad. He has been a role model to his three children and 10 grandchildren and a loving and caring husband to my Mom. He is a man of integrity and faith, who has worked hard to provide for his family and has a heart overflowing with love.

"Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deuteronomy 6:5-7


Happy Heart Day Dad!!

Love and Blessings,
Jill

Gifts & Blessings:
*My Dad's strong and healthy heart still beating.
*Walking under a harvest moon.
*Laughing with friends.
*A freshly painted new home office.
*My husband spending time painting while football was on t.v.
*Celebrating my cat's 16th birthday.
*Cool breezes flowing through the windows.
*A child's smile.
*Life still moving on.
*A bouquet of flowers from my mom's garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment